The FinDebate: Certified or on-the-job training
When employees join an organization, the first step of their orientation is the training they receive for their respective roles via methods such as Certified and On-the-job training. Certified training involves enrolling the employee for a certified course teaching them the essentials of their new role while On-the-job training allows employees to learn by working first hand on tasks related to their job.
Through one of our LinkedIn posts, we asked the audience to participate in the debate stating which one of the two training approaches would they prefer. One of the participants Manish Chandani said, “Training program should be a combination of both the forms. The first part should consist of brief introduction of the work (25% of time) and 2nd part should consist of on the job training (remaining 75% time)”. While Manish had a more neutral approach, let’s see what the views from both sides were…
Why go for certified training?
There is no denying that certified training can go a long way in helping an employee get better acquainted with the type of work they’ll be doing. Urval Chotalia, another commenter on the FinDebate said, “Mainly it depends on our professionalism. Both have their own benefits. Like certified training is mainly focused on theoretical & analytical things. But on-the-job training gives us a chance to gain both practical as well as analytical experience”.
Akanksha Agrawal also made a valid point, “There shouldn’t be a choice, actually. We cannot rule out certification as an indication of certain skills. However, on the job training gives you that extra edge which adds on to your certification. So, I believe both go hand in hand”.
Rahul Kumar said. “Certification show your knowledge and on the job training is to update your knowledge”.
A certified training course also gives you a valid proof of the skill set you acquire, and can definitely help you get a better job in the future.
Why is on-the-job training better?
The biggest advantage on-the-job-training has over a certified training course is the hands-on experience an employee gets with the former. Iatshumi Ganesan, made this point clear with his comment, “It’s good to have on-the-job-training. Because the company would get a good chance to train the employees to get themselves very well suited for the company’s job description. Certified training would get only a general view of all the company’s and not a tailor made training. Doing it practically by self would motivate and give confidence to the employees towards the company’s work nature”.
Meraj Bhagwan also laid it thick on the importance of on-the-job training, “On the job training is more useful because it gives directly practical knowledge to new joinee and it is also profitable to the company”.
Sonam Srivastav made her views clear and said, “Certification may help you find a job but on the job training helps you perform it.”
Another great thing about on-the-job training is that it offers scope for immediate feedback. If a new employee makes some mistakes in the beginning, they can be pointed out as and when they happen.
To wrap this FinDebate up, we’ll leave you with this great comment from Chaitanya Veeraghanta, “Being certified is like a riding an aircraft in a simulated cockpit, you know how to handle one, but it is just that you did not handle one yet! And on the other hand, On the Job Training is like flying a smaller plane but that does not mean that you can fly a larger plane that easily”.